[vdr] Re: AW: VDR -> DVD

On Monday 17 June 2002 18:19, Rene Bartsch wrote:

[...]

> As I have a DVD-writer testing with UDF-packet-writing I'm also
> interested in recording DVD. If the version 1.2 of VDR comes up, maybe
> someone can write a recording-plugin which directly records in
> VOB-format with IFO- and BUP-files instead of propretary MPEG-PES with
> index.vdr (if I understood well the DVD-specs, IFO-files are the
> index-files of VOB (like index.vdr in VDR) and BUP-files are backups of
> IFOs. So we could keep the main-file/index-file-structure and use the
> corresponding formats for VOB and IFO).

Unfortunaly its a bit more complicated. The DVD MPEG stream is divided into
Titles, Chapter and VOBU. Each VOBU contains a certain amount of video
(arround 5min, but thats only a guess). VOBU are the subdived by inline NAV
packets, PCI and DSI packets. PCI packets contain highlight information for
menus and DSI packets contain relative forward and backward references for
seeking and fast forward and rewind for upto 120 seconds in both directions
(possibly even into the next VOBU). The backward references can be generated
at recording time, but the forward references are a problem.
The IFO file contains only the references to the VOBU's.
For more in depth information have a look at:
http://members.aol.com/mpucoder/DVD/index.html

Andreas

--
Andreas Schultz <aschultz@cs.uni-magdeburg.de>
Student of computer science

"In accordance with plans for Linux OS world domination
      infiltration of governments is vital (:-))."

Home | Main Index | Thread Index