[vdr] Re: pic viewer 20020716

Alessio Sangalli wrote:

 > ok there is a new version of the pic viewer:
 >
 > http://www.manoweb.com/alesan/vdr/PIC-20020716.tgz
 >
 > it has resolution and quality switches. Please test all the
 > resolutions (from 'a' ... to 'f' (especially the 'd' one)) and play
 > with quality settings.
 >
 > today I'll work to realize a little browser for pictures and a proper
 > slideshow mode.
 >
 > pls try to test variuous types of images, png tiff etc etc etc
 >
 > bye
 > as

First of all, I really want to thank you to deal with the in my opinion
most lacking feature of vdr.

As I wrote earlyier on this list I tried to modify the teletext patch to
display images, but I was not satisfied with the quality at all.
The output of any TVout of a graphic card looked much better.
So I was very interrested in your viewer.

I tried it tonight and have to admit that I was a little disappointed.
You seem to have the same quality problems I had. The mpg2 encoding
of narrow nearly horizontal lines produces an image with
very clear pixel effects. I uploaded an sample image of my last holiday
to www.saas.de/test.jpg (full resolution) for testing purposes.
Can you also see the difference between vertical "leaves" and horizontal
"leaves" on your DVB output ?

I tried the viewer with "f 1" as I would definetly go for the optimal
image quality.

Maybe I'm completely wrong but I thing the encoding is the problem, as
the resampled images by ImageMagick look very good.

Thanks for any comments

Christoph

Home | Main Index | Thread Index