[vdr] Re: A/V-Interface suggestion

On Thursday 05 September 2002 15:29, Rene Bartsch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> with the 1.1.x branch of VDR a new problem has arised.
>
> When using plugins for any kind of I/O-cards (DVB, TV, DXR3, Encoder-boards
> ...) well have to handle and convert a lot of A/V-formats/-codecs (MPEG1/2,
> YUV, RGB, DivX, PCM, MP3, ...).
>
> So we'll need a common A/V-interface. As implementing A/V-conversion into
> every cDevice-plugin will be a waste, we should use given modules.
>
> As there already are a lot of A/V-plugins I'd suggest to implement a
> Transcode-API into VDR which can be accessed by any plugin/cDevice-class.
> Every I/O-plugin could simply call the A/V-plugin necessary for it's
> hardware, and for the recording- and cutting-plugin the user could select a
> format (e.g. VOB)

How often have i wished for such an interface ..., yet there are lot's of
problems with different formats and different requirements from each device,
that will make this a rather complex task.
As you appear to have take an interrested in it, might I suggest that you go
ahead and design and build a comprehensive implementation for the currently
used formats?

Andreas

Home | Main Index | Thread Index