[vdr] Re: Problems with Aspect-Ratio in DVD-Playback

Hi Ernst,

Sorry for not answering earlier to your PM.

On Friday 06 September 2002 23:36, Ernst Lehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some trouble in playing back DVDs.
>
> If I watch some movies, I get the wrong aspect-ratio, and I do not know
> how to switch back to the right during playback.

There is no way to switch during playback. The DVB card will display material
according to the 16:9 setting in the menu and the aspect ration information
in the MPEG stream. DVD player modifies the aspect ration flag in the MPEG
stream in order to get menus right. You certainly noticed that it doesn't
work correctly even in menus.

> Tested-Movies:
>
> - James Bond - Goldeneye (RC2)
> - James Bond - Die Welt ist nicht genung (RC2)
> - True Romance (RC2)
>
> Both are in 16:9, but the movie starts with the right aspect-ratio, and
> after 5 seconds, the aspect-ratio switches to 4:3, and then the
> cohen-heads come :((

The best thing to try is to remove the code modifying the MPEG attribute. In
dvd.c, comment out line 1097 till 1102, e.g.:

                UpdateVideoRatio();

#if 0
                //FIXME: this is not right, of course, maybe it is
                if ((state.registers.SPRM[14] >> 8) & 0x3 == 2) {
                  Data[i+3] &= 0x0f;
                  Data[i+3] |= (0x3 << 4);
                }
#endif
                i += 4;           //skip the processed data

seen the comment?  :-/

I hope that will at least solve the immediate problem.

Have fun

    Andreas

Home | Main Index | Thread Index