[vdr] Re: Problems with Aspect-Ratio in DVD-Playback

On Sat, 2002-09-07 at 11:51, Andreas Schultz wrote:
> Hi Ernst,

Hi Andreas,

> Sorry for not answering earlier to your PM.

No Problem :)

> On Friday 06 September 2002 23:36, Ernst Lehmann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have some trouble in playing back DVDs.
> >
> > If I watch some movies, I get the wrong aspect-ratio, and I do not know
> > how to switch back to the right during playback.
>
> There is no way to switch during playback. The DVB card will display material
> according to the 16:9 setting in the menu and the aspect ration information
> in the MPEG stream. DVD player modifies the aspect ration flag in the MPEG
> stream in order to get menus right. You certainly noticed that it doesn't
> work correctly even in menus.
>
> > Tested-Movies:
> >
> > - James Bond - Goldeneye (RC2)
> > - James Bond - Die Welt ist nicht genung (RC2)
> > - True Romance (RC2)
> >
> > Both are in 16:9, but the movie starts with the right aspect-ratio, and
> > after 5 seconds, the aspect-ratio switches to 4:3, and then the
> > cohen-heads come :((
>
> The best thing to try is to remove the code modifying the MPEG attribute. In
> dvd.c, comment out line 1097 till 1102, e.g.:
>
>                 UpdateVideoRatio();
>
> #if 0
>                 //FIXME: this is not right, of course, maybe it is
>                 if ((state.registers.SPRM[14] >> 8) & 0x3 == 2) {
>                   Data[i+3] &= 0x0f;
>                   Data[i+3] |= (0x3 << 4);
>                 }
> #endif
>                 i += 4;           //skip the processed data
>
> seen the comment?  :-/
>
> I hope that will at least solve the immediate problem.

Hmm I commented them out, looks now like:

                           //FIXME: this is not right, of course, maybe
it is
//              if ((state.registers.SPRM[14] >> 8) & 0x3 == 2) {
//                Data[i+3] &= 0x0f;
//                Data[i+3] |= (0x3 << 4);
//              }
//              i += 4;           //skip the processed data

but nothing changes. Error is the same. After a few seconds of the
movie, the apsect-ratio switches to a wrong mode...

Another question.

Is it perhaps a better solution, to switch the aspect-ratio with a
button on the remote-control, instead of guessing it from the movie. So
the audience can select the mode, they want ??

--

Bye

	Ernst
---------