[vdr] Re: split up channels.conf

Robert Schneider wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> when reading the "nice features" thread:
>
> Wouldn't it make sense to split up channels.conf into two parts. One being
> the file holding the "static" information like transponder, pids etc. and
> another file, that can be customized by the user to sort entries and
> define other things like CAM, Volume, Diseq etc.

CAM is not a user specific setting, but channel specific.
DiSEqC will soon be replaced by a "source" parameter (haven't decided on
the name yet), so it is also channel specific.

> That would allow that we could all live on one channels.conf and preserve
> our "private" settings.
>
> DTV had such a concept and I found it very valueable to be able to have a
> sorted channel list with my preference and to update technical information
> by just doing a dtv_scan.

The problem is that you need a way of telling which user channel is which
channels.conf channel. In order to do so you'll probably need to repeat
many of the parameters stored in channels.conf. To safely identify a channel
I guess you'll need the "source" (sat position, cable, terrestrial), the transponder
frequency and the service id (assuming service ids are unique within one transponder).
And in order to store separate volume levels for each APID you'll even have to
repeat the APIDs in your user channel setup. I'm afraid this would in the end
make things unnecessarily complicated.

I've yet to see a good concept for a "user channel settings" list that doesn't
duplicate most of the information in channels.conf.

Klaus