[vdr] Re: split up channels.conf

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Oliver Endriss wrote:
> > Rienecker, Fa. Evenio, ITS P, M wrote:
> > > Just to be precise a channel is uniquely identified by the triple
> > > [source|NetworkID|ServiceID]
> > > [...]
> > > PS: Actually on Astra the ServiceID is already unique. But that
> > > is not according to the DVB standard and may be coincidence.
> >
> > According to the standard, a service is uniquely identified by
> > (original_network_id, transport_stream_id, service_id).
> > service_id is unique within a given transport stream,
> > transport_stream_id is unique within a given network.
> > network_ids are allocated in ETSI TR 162,
> > e.g. 0x0001 for ASTRA, 0x013e for Eutelat.
>
> So where's the transponder? I can't tune the DVB card to an
> "original_network_id"...

I can't either. But the information is essential for the EPG processing,
because the service_id is not necessarily unique. It's *not* sufficient
to use service_id as the key in the EPG database...

For *fast* channel selection you need another type of information, e.g.
- satellite(DiSEqC), frequency, polarization
- vpid, apid
That's exactly the kind of information which is provided by
channels.conf/sources.

We should keep things as simple as possible, i.e. do not split
channels.conf more than necessary.

A problem with the current channels.conf is that pids might change.
Perhaps you could provide an interface, which a plugin might use to
manipulate these settings.
This way, we could implement a parser plugin for PAT/PMT/NIT/... and
update these fields - automatically or interactively.

Oliver

Home | Main Index | Thread Index