[vdr] Re: Beginners Questions

Ronald Steininger <ronald.steininger@gmx.at> wrote:

> RWB> Yes, I think I CAN manage that, but your exact key words are "a
> RWB> few hours". Esp. when rebuilding an OS that is a waste of time.
> RWB> After all your VDR has a remote and / or an IR keyboard. You
> RWB> "could" attach a cable keyboard or hardbuttons on a front panel
> RWB> of your VDR. It would work, but is it comfortable? No! For timer
> RWB> programming, you"could" use an electronic timer installed in the
> RWB> power cord of your vdr, but would you? No, it's not comfortable,
> RWB> so you use the built in epg timers of vdr.

> I meant from a empty harddisk to a running, ready-to-use vdr system;
> I don't think 2-3 hours is a long time for this (It takes longer to
> install Windows and the needed drivers). But I understand your point
> of view, it took me 2 days to get vdr running the first time...

i think, makeing vdr installation easier, would do no good, either. at
least as long vdr is under heavy development. the easier vdr
installation gets, the more "windows only" users will use it, because
there is no real solution for windows available and the more linux
newbie questions will show up on the list. when we can call vdr stable
and feature freazed, there should (and will) show up rpm's for all kind
of distribution anyway. the developers have given us enough info for
compiling and installing vdr and its up to us (users) to test it and
file bugreports. people that are not able to provide a backtrace on
request should not run vdr FOR NOW.

no offens ...
clemens

Home | Main Index | Thread Index