[vdr] Re: How to increase VDR-restarts ?

Gernot Ritter wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> On my Box I need to record a channel that only sends data half an hour a
> day.
> Unfortunately, the time-window within which data is sent varies form day to
> day for a few minutes (i.e. some day they start earlier and end earlier,
> some day they start later and so on...)
> This causes VDR to restart ( I guess this is because no data is coming
> anymore or not yet ) on the channel marked for recording.
> That fact for itself wouldnīt be the problem - but after restarting for
> several times (I guess about 3 to 5 times) the VDR software doesnīt start
> again and so all forthcoming timer events canīt be recorded without having
> to restart VDR manualy or rebooting the machine.
>
> Anybody got an idea how to circumvent this Problem ?
> (Maybe there is a possibility of increasing restarts? Or tell VDR to ignore
> no incoming data stream on the channel to record ?)

There is no inherent limit to the number of restarts in VDR, so I wonder
why it would only work a few times.

If you want to disable the "emergency exit" alltogether, you could
change the function cThread::EmergencyExit() in thread.c so that it
always returns false, as in

bool cThread::EmergencyExit(bool Request)
{
  return false; // <=== this line is new
  if (!Request)
     return emergencyExitRequested;
  esyslog("initiating emergency exit");
  return emergencyExitRequested = true; // yes, it's an assignment, not a comparison!
}

However, I'm not sure whether the driver will start delivering data if the
channel is not broadcasting at the time VDR opens the stream...

Klaus