[vdr] Re: Bug, or just me?

Dennis Noordsij wrote:
>>I'm also using Gentoo and had some strange problems with the
>>gentoo-sources (as you know, they're heavily patched). I don't know if
>>your problems have something to do with it, but maybe it would be better
>>to merge the vanilla-sources for a rock-stable system.
>>Must have been a really time-expensive installation with a P133 ;)
>

> It's just that I am using the same sources on my original test box (which was
> faster :-) and had no problems.

It was really weird: still-images didn't work in vdr, I had to change
something in the vdr-sourcecode. I think the "preemptive-patch" causes
the problems (there was also a thread in linux-dvb). I would suggest to
merge vanilla-sources even if it worked on the other pc.

> And yes, quite time-expensive !! I used the stage 3 tarball, of course CD-ROM
> didn't work and the BIOS (from 1995) wouldn't let me boot off it if it did,
> so had to use rescue floppies to coordinate the whole thing. Compiling a
> kernel takes 82 minutes (! imagine how pissed I was when I forgot to include
> tmpfs and Gentoo wouldn't boot :-), vdr about 15, dvb drivers again 15.
> Agghh! But the idea is that I only compile things very rarely once it's
> working, and if I ever try to compile KDE on that box, just shoot me :)

Sounds funny ;)
What about building the system on another PC? Mounting the harddrive
into your faster pc and installing Gentoo there would save much time
(but it's too late now...)

Best regards, Ronald.