[vdr] Re: AW: dynamic range compression

"Gavin Hamill" <gdh@acentral.co.uk> wrote:

> Yeh, what normal people refer to as 'normalisation' .. I think the
> point being made was that in order to perform normalisation, you first
> have to decompress the MPEG audio into raw PCM, apply a normalisation
> filter, and then output that to the Dxr3 or DVB card...

Wrong! normalisation and (dynamic range) compression are two different
things. normalisation raises the digital samples to the maximum, thereby
every sample gets multiplied with the "same" faktor. compression changes
the dynamic range of the signal. very loud signals get more quiet silent
signals get louder. so the overall loudness is more constant.

best regards ...
clemens