[vdr] PLEASE HELP (was: LCDproc Plugin Settings error (??!) )

Anyone who knows about hardware please read and try to help ;)))

At Sunday 20 October 2002 20:13 Sascha Volkenandt wrote:
> I think I've got some problem with the LCDproc PlugIn for VDR. I cannot
> access the setup menu although I cannot see any differences to any other
> setup in the sources. When accessing the Setup Menu, I get a segmentation
> fault. I've debugged that segmentation fault to osdbase.c:213 where (member
> object not pointer!!!) "Bitmap" points to 0xa0.
>
> The unusual Thing is: Only when debugging this, in some constellations this
> even happens when I access the "Setup" Menu (at another weird place), but
> only when LCDproc-PlugIn is loaded, and only when debugging. I wonder what
> is hapening there.
>
> I'll try to debug that somehow further with the glibc memory debug
> routines, and I'll tell you about anything I can find ;).

Sorry everyone for me telling stupid things ;) But I think I sincerely have a
problem and I won't get along without anyone's help anymore.

I am using VIA EPIA 800 Mainboard, Hauppauge DVB-S Rev. 2.1, 256 MB RAM and
two 20 Gig HDDs (system ext3, video ext2).
Software is SuSE Linux 8.0, Kernel 2.4.18 (self-compiled, of course) together
with vdr 1.1.13 and all available plugins (except DXR3) in the (by yesterday)
newest versions. I use the patched OLDSTRUCT driver provided by Klaus.

Everything works quite well except for some rare segfaults when compiling the
kernel. But since yesterday nothing works well anymore.

I started assembling the LCD panel, compiling LCDproc and the appropriate
plugin. After re-starting vdr, I've had the problem that vdr crashed when
I called LCDproc's setup-menu.

Then I debugged a little bit and wrote the last message. But NOTHING is
working stable anymore.

The weird thing still is: I can do anything inside VDR, even recording and
replaying at the same time, but as soon as I access (any) PlugIn's Setup-Menu,
vdr crashes. When I restart drivers and VDR then, vdr sometimes even crashes
when I want to access the "Setup" menu. With the next restart, vdr doesn't
even start sometimes. But, when I wait several minutes, it works again (up to
any plugin's setup menu).

This happens with and without LCDd, even without the actual LCD hardware being
connected. I have un-applied the MiniAIO-Patch, so it even happens with a
vanilla-vdr, I have tried to de-select some plugins, nothing helps.

WHAT COULD THAT BE??!?!?!

I have run a memory test (memtest86) for over 24 hours and it didn't find
anything - Memory fully operational. Bus-Problems??! CPU damaged??! But how
can I find out??!?!

Even the kernel is compiled for Via C3 processor, I have made sure that only
the appropriate IDE and Chipset drivers are present, all other programs are
configured for i586-linux (even if configure detects i686) and all compiler
suites and distribution-tools are compiled for i386 by SuSE.

Please help me!

Greetings,
Sascha Volkenandt