[vdr] Re: Get CAM/CI working

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 02:21, Nils Olav Fossum wrote:
> ons, 2002-11-27 kl. 19:12 skrev Clemens Kirchgatterer:
> > Sascha Volkenandt <mailbot1@wat.willz.de> wrote:
> >
> > > And what's patented about Irdeto and so on is not the "software", it's
> > > the "algorithm", and that's legal to patent in almost every country
> > > worldwide.
> >
> > wrong. see my other post about that. you can't patent algorithms in
> > europe.
> >
> > http://swpat.ffii.org/vreji/papri/eubsa-swpat0202/index.de.html
>
> hm, just out of my head:
>
> I live i norway (My English is hopeless:-)
> and none norwegian satelite-TV channels are free-to-air :-(

:(

> ..I have a Hauppauge DVB-s 2.1 with a ci interface for 2 CAMs..
> (and legal Conax/Viaccess CAMs/cards)
> ..and I cant get the thing working..
> I have tested, it works in w2k, but I use Linux on my PCs..

Oh no, I live in Norway also. Just bought my Hauppauge Nexus card. Same
as yours. Haven't got the common interface card yet(they didn't have it
in stock). So I can't get it to work in linux? I bought the card so I
could use linux. DARN

> So, its time to do something with the non-workings:
>
> 1. Convergence could fix the firmware, but the firmware is under NDA and
> they seem to have limited resources; It's a lowpriority.
> And it looks like they lost expertis on this with the MetzlerBros ?
>
> 2. Someone could disassemble the firmware, get whatever free
> documentation there is out there and write own docs for the rest..
> Anyone working on something like this?
>
> 3. Workaround, use softcams..
> ..optionally with genuine cards at the com-port..
> I need one for Conax :-),
> I guess somebody is working on this..
>
> 4. Use Windoze :-/ nah, too clunky
>

> So where do i put my resources?? (In a legal way)
> I have done some reverse engineering on microcontrollers,
> but this is much bigger, not something i can do afterhours alone :-)
>
> or, Instead of buying a copy of W2k, give the money to Convergence??
>
> BTW:
> Is it possible to buy card/CI supported by linux-DVB for my CAMs?
> If so where?

What type of cam do you have? I have send some e-mail to Canaldigital
and they said that I had to order a cam from them that is working with
non mediahighway tuners(I think). And I had to get a card from them that
works with that cam.

So this work just in windows?

> --
> Mvh