[vdr] Re: @Klaus Schmidinger: Suggestion for -O options in plugin-makefiles

On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 16:42:45 +0100, Robert Schiele <robert.schiele@t-online.de> wrote:
> > Yes, but the Linux-distros use the CFLAGS in kernelsource as system-default
>                                                ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Huh?  I'm confused about what you are telling.  In what way are the
> kernel sources related to vdr?
>
> > (which I have set to "-O3" to get more performance, especially on my P1 133
> > and P1 166 boxes). And this is "-O2". So I think we should use the
> > system-default by removing the "-O"-flags from the Makefiles
>
> There is no system default for optimization.  The kernel sources are
> not related to vdr.  I think you are mixing up two different things.

At least Gentoo Linux have system-wide CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS, but they won't be used when compiling the kernel (or any other application with CFLAGS in their Makefile).

> > If anyone needs another "-O"-flag he can put it into Makefile.conf.
>
> Well he can do that anyway.  No need to change current Makefile.

What will other distributions do without CFLAGS in the Makefile? I'm sure there is a system-default somewhere...If the CFLAGS are not needed in the Makefile, why keeping it?

Best regards, Ronald.
--
Signature down due to maintenance