[vdr] Re: How to use master-timer while xawtv?

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 09:37:18PM +0100, Gregoire Favre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have just made some place on my HD, and now I am ready to record
> quiete anything (80 Gb free...).
>
> I always have one SVDRP connection active due to xawtv, and I cannot
> have master-timer due to this...
>
> How could I have 4 (four) connection to the SVDRP (two from each xawtv I
> use, one for master-timer, and the last one for the scripts I wrote to
> send messages informing me of status of the running processes)?

Seems like you have to write a "multiplexer".

AFAIKS each of the running programs (meantioned above) uses a specific
subset of the SVDR-functionality, so there don't seem to be
interdependencies.

The problem of concurent connections is locking and race conditions.
e.g. Master-Timers messes(<g>) with timers. When another program does
this at the same time (e.g. vdradmin) you could end up with lost timers
and other (more or less) strange things.

Because of this i've always voted against multiple connections via SVDR.

But nobody would hinder you to write an external multiplexer which makes
the connection to VDR and handles multiple incoming connections. In the
simplest form ("Store and Forward)) you only have to make sure that only
1 command is send at once.

1) Get command
2) Send command to VDR
3) wait for feedback from VDR