[vdr] Re: Feature Request: All-Time-Recording

Hi Klaus,

> Reinhard Walter Buchner wrote:
> > @Klaus: When you implement this, will you be using a
> > freeze frame? What I mean is to blank or freeze the the
> > last I-frame when we start a pause recording.

> I don't think that using a still frame from the live stream would
> do any good, since the replay later most likely won't start at
> exactly that frame.

That's why I said blank frame or last I-frame ;o)) The reason
it would be nice to either freeze or blank the frame, would
be to keep the suspense ;o)). If I am watching a movie and
someone calls me on the phone and it doesn't freeze or
blank the screen, you inherently continue watching the
movie and this takes the suspense out of it all. I think a
pause recording should freeze or blank the screen and
also mute the audio (although this will be a problem
with SPDIF ;o().That's also the way commercial STB's
do it.

> > how (if) we can do the pause recording for encrypted
> > channels? The AV711x *must* be able to handle this
> > from the hardware standpoint as my Nokia 9902 also
> > uses the TI chip and it can do a pause recording for
> > any channel, be it encrypted or FTA.

> If you have more than one DVB card and you have your
> CAM in a non-primary card, then this should be no problem.

That's the way I plan on doing it, as soon as I have a second
DVB card ;o)) I was thinking more in the lines of single
card users.

> AFAIK with the DVB cards used with VDR it is not possible
> to do recording of an encrypted channel and replay at
> the same time (anybody who knows better please correct me).

Yes, I realize that. I just wonder why this is so. It can't be a
problem of the ARM-7 / SAA 7146 processors / Dual ported
RAM or  tuner, because commercial STB use these chips,
too and  there it is possible to do a RecReplay on any kind
of channel. So I guess it has most likely something to do
with the FW.

Greetz,
Reinhard

---