[vdr] Re: DVB over emu10k1 !?

Armin Janssen schrieb:

unfortunately our heros (the developers) all seem to have
DD Hardware (recievers) so nobody realy cares about soft-decoding
AC3 to 5.1 analog output (allthough CMI87xx as well as SB5.1

well, i don't have DD hardware and i do care about soft-decoding,
the only thing i don't have is time to start yet another project.
BUt, i would gladly help testing and debugging a SoftAC3out plugin
if someone elsa would write it.
i'll try, i already patched some other code, so i hope i'll get
a result by midd next week.

[...]

i think thats because of the uncertain legal status, technically
there>is no obstacle i can see.

hi all!
Hm does it say there is no way to realize it only send the sound over the emu10k1 to an analog-sound-system or have i missunderstood
anything??
no it actually say the opposite:
technically we have everything needed:
-from bitreamout one _could_ get a perfect ac3 stream
-mplayer or a52dec provide a possibility to decode ac3streams
-emu10k and cm87xx provide 5+1 sound outputs, for oss and alsa

trouble comes from putting it together, since atleast the cm87xx
cards don't provide any kind of direct, legal way to decode
ac3, since neither the chip vendor nor the sound card vendor
pay anything to Dolby; Creative provides this software/firmware
at least under windos, and under linux they provide active-prologic,
so assuming this it _could_ be not totally illegal, depending on your
local law, to "fix" this missing (but promoted) feature, if you can
do without "special" effort (that's basically what applies to germany).

i've no dd receiver and i would not buy anything now...
regards armin
me neither, i bought the MS-Tech el cheapo set:
5 satelites+lfe+mini-amp and a CM87xx sound card (~55€ at snogard)
and later a SB5.1 value since i wanted to play with 5.1 too

so for our problem it looks like if we put effort into it it
might course trouble, on the other hand we just need to get the ac3 stream, either directly from within bitreaout (very complicated for me)
or by using some kind of virtual alsa sound card.
for oss this exists, but i could not find one for alsa, this
would also solve the legal stuff, since just putting this together
can hardly be illegal, if you just fix a feature you already have under
windos.

regards onno