[vdr] AW: Re: Hardware project: MPEG2 decoder with ethernet adapter

> Is it really possible to connect a dbox2 to the ethernet and
> use it as frontend for vdr? As far as I know, a dbox, a
> playstation2, an Xbox and all that nice thingies cannot be
> used for that because you first have to add a mod chip and
> then get a special variant of linux etc. Thus making this
> approach complicated and expensive.

I don't think the xbox will be too expensive, it is currently sold for 199
euros, add 30 euros for the remote, and 20 for a modchip. Then you have a
more or less complete pc with dvd-rom drive and a harddisk, able to run
linux, you have 10/100 mbit ethernet, the posibility to output sp/dif, all
the different available video formats, including yuv-progessive (not sure
about pal-progressive).

If you want to use linux an the xbox, there is even a completly legal bios
(the modchip for the xbox is only a bios replacement, most of the chips
using hacked microsoft bioses) called cromwell i think, so there are no
legal reasons against it.

Regards,
michael