[vdr] Re: Broken stream detection (again)

peter.dittmann@philips.com wrote:
> I've just experimented this morning a bit with the broken stream exit
> in recorder.c. As indicated erlier I've seen in my logs that broken
> stream detection and emergency exit contains a bullshit system time.
> It seems to be about 70min in the future. VDR is correcting this on
> the next time setting. Anyhow the wrong system time fools the broken
> stream detection (timeout is always true). So a single problems on
> reception is here causing an immediate emergency exits. I've had
> problems in the past (Suse 7.1) with lirc complaining about reverse
> jumps of system time (IEEE: your clock jumped backward). It seemsed
> not VDR is causing this but a scrappy hardware timer of the board
> maybe in conjunction with some flaws in the kernel.

The question here is:

How do you set your system clock? Do you use the VDR feature to set the
time? Do you use rdate or ntpdate?

Normally, the system clock *does not* jump. It's always a user process
that forces a jump, e.g. rdate updateing the clock.
This is considered bad as it may break different things, like drivers or
daemons (as you noticed). Best practice is to use rdate/ntpdate only once
at system boot time and then run ntpd to get a smoothly adjusted clock.

Cheers,
Juri