[vdr] Notes on playing DVDs using mplayer plugin

Hi,

I was looking for an easy to use solution to play DVDs, VCDs and AVIs
with VDR. Current dvd plugin is nice but most of my DVDs fail due to
some problems with dvdnav (and cannot play divx).

To be able to play DVDs using the mplayer plugin I put a dummy textfile
called "DVD" in the mplayer directory and modified the mplayer.sh use
the following params when this file was selected:

if [ "$FILE" = "<path to mplayer dir>/DVD" ]; then
  /bin/su -c "$MPLAYER $OPTS $SLAVE -alang de_DE dvd://1" -
  exit 0
fi

(I did the same with a file called Video-CD...) The "su -c ... -" was required
as a work around for some library conflicts (I guess).  BTW: I don't use the
"SLAVE" mode for mplayer.

Ok, everything works fine but there is one problem left:

When terminating mplayer with lirc the behaviour is very well. I defined
a quit command in lircrc and mplayer terminates. Everything works fine.

BUT when terminating mplayer from VDR menue with the blue button
it is not possible to start it again (channel is blocked).  Maybe some
resources don't get released properly.

I already commented out the "blue button" action in mplayer plugin
because I use this button for "fast forward". But this had no effect to the
blue button appearing insinde the VDR menue when a plugin is started.
Obviously VDR is using another machanism to terminate a plugin.

So (finally) my question: is it possible to prevent the blue "terminate" key
for the mplayer plugin in the VDR menue? Or alternatively: is it possible to
add a hook that is called when VDR want's to terminate a plugin.

In a first trial I switched to SLAVE mode, added the SLAVE action "quit" to
the mplayer plugin and called it in the destructor but that didn't release
the channel properly.

Some suggestions would be nice...

Martin