[vdr] Re: Notes on playing DVDs using mplayer plugin

Martin Fischer wrote:

>> > When terminating mplayer with lirc the behaviour is very well. I defined
>> > a quit command in lircrc and mplayer terminates. Everything works fine.
>> >
>> > BUT when terminating mplayer from VDR menue with the blue button
>> > it is not possible to start it again (channel is blocked).  Maybe some
>> > resources don't get released properly.

The plugin calls the mplayer.sh and stores the PID. If you press the blue
butten the plugin uses 'kill' with the PID of the mplayer.sh script to
kill mplayer. That's why the script must call mplayer with 'exec' so that
mplayer replaces the script and therefor gets the same PID.

>> Use exec to execute mplayer in your script.
>
> I tried exec in several ways but I always got an "cannot open
> /dev/dvd using dvdread" error. Only using su made this error disappear.

Are you running VDR as a special user and not as root? If so, your user
has no rights to read or *write* to /dev/dvd.

>> But another thing:
>> Why don't you just use my mplayer.sh script from
>> http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/VDR/ ?
>
> Oops, you're right. Reason is quite simple: I didn't know about this
> script ...well I took a look inside, the relevant code is very similar.
>
>> stuff in a similiar manner like your approach and it plays nearly every
>> file that mplayer can handle. Just have a look and don't reinvent the
>> wheel :)
>
> You're quite right of course, but the error message will stay the
> same even with this script. Replacing exec with "su" will work.
>
> Maybe you have some more ideas?

See above.

Cheers,
Juri