[vdr] Re: Notes on playing DVDs using mplayer plugin

Hi Juri,

> > if [ "$FILE" = "<path to mplayer dir>/DVD" ]; then
> >   /bin/su -c "$MPLAYER $OPTS $SLAVE -alang de_DE dvd://1" -
> >   exit 0
> > fi

> > When terminating mplayer with lirc the behaviour is very well. I defined
> > a quit command in lircrc and mplayer terminates. Everything works fine.
> >
> > BUT when terminating mplayer from VDR menue with the blue button
> > it is not possible to start it again (channel is blocked).  Maybe some
> > resources don't get released properly.
> >
> > So (finally) my question: is it possible to prevent the blue "terminate"
> > key for the mplayer plugin in the VDR menue? Or alternatively: is it
> > possible to add a hook that is called when VDR want's to terminate a
> > plugin.

> Use exec to execute mplayer in your script.

I tried exec in several ways but I always got an "cannot open
/dev/dvd using dvdread" error. Only using su made this error disappear.
As a "native" java speaker, I wasn't able to find a reason for this
behaviour.

> But another thing:
> Why don't you just use my mplayer.sh script from
> http://batleth.sapienti-sat.org/projects/VDR/ ?

Oops, you're right. Reason is quite simple: I didn't know about this
script ...well I took a look inside, the relevant code is very similar.

> stuff in a similiar manner like your approach and it plays nearly every
> file that mplayer can handle. Just have a look and don't reinvent the
> wheel :)

You're quite right of course, but the error message will stay the
same even with this script. Replacing exec with "su" will work.

Maybe you have some more ideas?

Thanx, Martin