[vdr] Re: Feature Request: lm_sensors OSD

Sebastian Kemper wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I got an idea :) Would it be possible to code a plugin that shows teps
>of cpu and case on the OSD if lm_sensors is properly installed? Maybe
>right into the VDR main menu. I think this would be great because VDR's

>are computers and they need appropriate cooling. So we would be warned
>if it gets to hot. Maybe even a save shutdown would be possible. E.g.
>the plugins realizes the VDR gets too hot and shuts down automatically.
>
>Just an idea, but I think it would be cool.

Well, it took me approx 3 weeks to figure out the design of a fanless
solution partly based on CPU cooling with the aid of a heatpipe and for
the
rest passive cooling with heatsinks.

It took so long to figure out where the position of the cooling holes at
top
and bottom had to be placed but the thermodynamic law's are straight
forward
so I endded up with prolly too many holes.

What I mean is : temperatur checking should be done during building the
VDR
system keeping the room temperature in mind or even better, the spot
where you
want to place the computer cause that's an additional factor that has an
influence
on the system temperature.

Let's suppose the feature is added and you notice that the temp get's
out of hand.
What then? Seems a littlebit too late to act for me.........