[vdr] Re: Suggestion: Change default bitrate in mplayer.sh.conf

Sebastian Kemper wrote:
>> Have you actually used this bitrate? I don't think so as I get massive
>> block artefacts with it.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Juri
>
> Really?
>
> I'm using 4000 since a few days now and I've watched 2 DivX movies with
> it and I get no block artefacts.

I'm currently using 5000, which is a compromise between block artefacts
and stutters on high bitrate scene in some videos. Look at scenes with
rapid movements or zoom outs.

Actually, with 9000 most videos play perfectly smooth - there are just a
few, that have scenes where the video gets choppy. What is remarkable
about that is, that my P4 2.4 GHz system has only a load of 75% or even
less - so there should be plenty of computing power left. It looks more
like a problem in mplayer, as the results change to the better if I
disable mplayer's caching.
The bitrate of the original divx videos is independent of this problem,
meaning:
A video with a high bitrate might play smooth whereas a video with a low
bitrate is choppy at scenes with fast movements (e.g. zoom out).

I think, everyone has to find the optimal value for his individual system
for himself.

Cheers,
Juri