[vdr] Re: In what circumstances is epg.data saved to disk?

Klaus Schmidinger schrieb:

Onno wrote:

HI,

Matthias Schniedermeyer schrieb:

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 11:04:46AM +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

Thomas Keil wrote:

channels.conf and timers.conf are saved every time one of their
entries is changed, so there's no need for such commands.
How often are they read?

Every ten minutes, too?
Or just when VDR starts?
These are only read ahen VDR starts.
If you want to change any of these entries, use the OSD or
the appropriate SVDRP commands, like MODC, MODT, NEWT or NEWC.

Btw.
svdrp.c:  Reply(502, "DELC not yet implemented");

and no way of editing an epg event without heavy network
i/o, which is some kind of very stupid, since ~95% of all
users use svdrp on localhost, which makes it very annoying,
if you just want to fix the broken epg.
i want my episodes to have the correct episode title
in a directory structure, thus i must copy the first string
of the description (D) to the sub-title (S), this has to be
done even when one uses xmltv2vdr
(after enhancing it to support sub-titles).

so i have to use ugly shell code sed,awk,grep,cut
after getting the data from netcat, and before
sending it back with netcat, and if vdr gets stuck on
reimport of 6-7mb of epg all is lost and i repeat with
increased usleep's. this tends to block vdr from 6:00h
till 7:30h (including import of external xmltv and filtering
for double timers/recordings)

i guess it would be easier and faster if either:

A)svdrp gets a lot more commands to manipulate more
of vdrs internal data (epg, timer, channels, states-of-devices)
selective
i.e. not all at once, but one pice at a time, like
only the subtitle of a certain recording, which must be fetch'able
like in a database (asterixes,patterns, but no advanced db stuff )

or

B)
vdr get the ability to re-read its conf/data files on demand
(manually edited timers,epg [WHICH NEVER WORKS AS EXPECTED
UNLESS FIXED BY HAND/SCRIPT] , or channels and commands)

Jet still i know those "problems" would be there if there
wasn't Klaus and the fantastic vdr software...

So just my experience on the way to a _perfect_ TV Experience.

Regards to Klaus and all Contributors to this Dream,

So am I right in assuming that your main problem is the wrong
format of some stations' EPG data? VDR has a builtin mechanism
that tries to fix this (see cEventInfo::FixEpgBugs()).
Maybe you want to add the fixes for your channels there.

Klaus
I'll try if i can get it working in real programmed code,
for the time beeing i solved it by importing reformated xmltv
data with xmltv2vdr, but i loose almost all enhanced description
information to get episode information for all channels for more
than 4 days...

so for some channels it could be solved in vdr, but alltogether
it realy depends on tv stations so broadcast more, better epg
information..

Regards Onno