[vdr] Re: Filesystem pros & cons

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dr. Werner Fink" <werner@suse.de>

> > > Hi,

> > > Use tune2fs to set those values ("man tune2fs").
> >
> > Or modify your /etc/init.d/boot.localfs not to fsck ext3-partitions
> > (in case you use only journalling-fs you could simply comment out
> > the fsck-line)
>
> Don't do that.  The e2fsck exactly knows if a journal is available and
> applies this.  This well documented, e.g. `man e2fsck' the first
> few lines.  In other words:  e2fsck is _required_ even for ext3 fs.

Many thanks for all the hints!

After reading the man pages, I think "tune2fs -c0" is the way to go, even if
the manpage warns about disabling the regular forced check.

Maybe it's a good idea to add a "e2fsck -f -p" when shuting down the box.
(only once per month of course...) This way, I still have regular forced
checks, but the box is always starting as fast as possible. Any
recommendations from where to trigger this? Maybe from
/etc/init.d/halt.local ?

Christian