[vdr] Re: vdr killed my video archive

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 17:53:08 +0200, Carsten Koch <Carsten.Koch@icem.com>
wrote:

> *  On a DVD-R, you will lose some of the space you paid for,
>     unless you are lucky and the movie fits exactly (unless
>     you make it fit by recompressing).

If I look at the typical sizes of my recordings (2.5-5.7 GB) I would not
be able to put more than one on disk most of the time. Recompressing is
no alternativ because of quality loss and time effort.

> *  Sometimes even the best move is no longer worth watching.
>     So the freedom to erase it and re-use the space is not to
>     be ignored (at least for me).

That's the same here.

> And, of course I like the luxory to use vdr from my bedroom
> (two floors away from the actual VDR PC) without having to
> get up and insert new media. But this is getting far OT....

A changer would be an alternative but it would add considerable to the
costs.

Everyone has his own preferences, so I go the same way as you, other's
may go the way of Matthias. As Linux and VDR is totally flexible
everyone has the free choice. ;-)

Emil