[vdr] Re: Corrupted recordings

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 18:39, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Helmut Auer wrote:
> >
> > Helllo List,
> > I've got reports from some VDR-Users about corrupted recordings like here:
> > http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?postid=57281#post57281
> > Any ideas what could cause this problems ? Luckily I haven't got these
> > problems myself yet ( maybe because my main system still stays on 1.04 ? )
>
> I assume this is the infamous "unknown picture type" error.
> Those who have this should check their log file for such an error message.
>
> The problem must be in the driver, since it suddenly decides not to
> deliver any useful video data any more. Unfortunately apparently none
> of the users who is experiencing this problem is willing or able to
> track down where in the driver the problem actually is. Maybe it is even
> in the firmware...

IMHO:
This is a subtle problem - hard to track down.  If there was a clear and
simple bit of code that demonstrated the problem then that could be
passed on to the driver developers and they could have a go at fixing
it.

When this has been reported to the DVB list the reported has said
something like:  "I have UPT errors in VDR" or "I have unknown picture
type errors in VDR".  The problem is these are VDR errors - and so mean
nothing to the DVB developers.

Another problem may be that no one with extensive programming experience
has this problem themselves.  It would need someone who has a system
with these errors to themselves try to debug the drivers.

Yet another problem is that (if I am not wrong) these problems sometimes
take a while to surface.  That makes debugging the drivers difficult.