[vdr] Re: PATCHES: vdr-1.2.6 (getSTC and mp2)

On Wednesday 05 November 2003 18:25, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Sven Goethel wrote:
> >
> > On Sunday 02 November 2003 23:09, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > > Oh, I see (sorry, just briefly looked over the patch and saw that
> > > there is a PID set where I didn't expect it).
> > >
> > > So what do you need this PCR-PID setting for, anyway?
> > > After all, in live mode cDvbDevice::SetChannelDevice() does set the
> > > PCR PID - or am I missing something here?
> >
> > replay modes/plugins has not set it .. :-(

> > > If it's just about adding GetSTC() I might consider this for 1.2.6,
> > > but then the setting of the PCR PID has to be dropped since that one
> > > is already set - or is there a situation where this isn't the case?.
> >
> > plugins: vdr-dvd,
> > and replay/transport modes ..
> >
> > > Also, what's with the 'ePidType type=ptPcr' parameter in GetSTC()?
> > > Is this to be called with other 'type's, too?
> >
> > i just tried, if the STC is different for the
> > ptVideo and ptPcr dvb device handle - but i guess it is not.
> > (just a guess)
> >
> > the default is ptPcr anyway ..
> >
> > but e.g. if dvbplayer, or dvd player needs STC,
> > they never opened ptPcr .. so it should be opened
> > in case it is not allready ;-)
> >
> > > Sorry if my questions seem dumb to you, but I currently
> > > don't have the time to look deeper into this, so you'll need to
> > > explain to me very detailed what and why you do it ;-) After all,
> > > version 1.2.6 is almost about to be released, so I can't add
> > > anything that might have unwanted side effects.
> >
> > getSTC does not close any handles, and it just uses
> > the STC ioctl .. therefore there should not be any sideeffects,
> > IMHO.
> >
> > cDevice::GetPidHandle just seeks for the given ePidType
> > (in the set of pidHandles) and returns the 1st found one,
> > or NULL.
> > this can be convinient, if someone wants to do something
> > with ptVideo/ptAudio, but does not want to struggle through
> > the cChannel stuff .. for a allready opened pidHandle ..
> >
> > i hope this makes things a little more clearly ..
>
> I've looked a little more into this and saw that, when you
> add the PID in GetSTC, you actually add a PID value of '2'
> (the enum value of ptPcr), which according to Johannes
> Stezenbach (in a PM) is complete nonsense.

i like making fun ;-)

> I guess the proper way to handle this will be to open a dummy
> demux file handle for each full featured DVB card and use that
> one for getting the STC. GetSTC() shall not add any PID by
> itself, and especially not set an arbitrary value of '2'.

uh .. the dvb-api doc's says so,
but i was confused by johannes mail:

+++

On Thu, Feb 20, 2003 at 07:45:42PM +0100, I wrote:

> The STC is a 33bit counter which is fed from the
> PTSs of PES packets from the stream specified by
> ioctl DMX_SET_PES_FILTER with DMX_OUT_DECODER and DMX_PES_PCR.
> The demux implements a PLL and some filtering to remove
> jitter etc. and get a stable clock. The STC is then used
> by the MPEG decoder as the reference clock to synchronize audio and
> video. It is common to use the video stream as PCR source.

+++

and thought it must be a dmx handle, which is mapped
to such an appropriate device ..

well it is great if it still works with a dummy handle,
'cause thats much less confusion and more simple ..

> The GetSTC() thing might be an exception, if and only if it gets
> rid of the AddPid() call and does this by using a separate file
> handle (let's call it fd_stc), which, as far as I understand this,
> just needs to be opened on the demux device and doesn't require
> any special PID to be set on.

so .. do i ? or do you ?

till when .. ? within this weekend is ok ?

> Klaus

cheers, sven