[vdr] Re: Converting VDR audio recordings to mp3...

> On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 11:17, Koch, Steffen wrote:
> > > Does anyone have a good method for converting vdr audio
> > > recordings, i.e. froma radio channel, into a working mp3?
> > Whats the reason you need mp3? Does mp2 work too? Then you could just
> > demultiplex the vdr file, et voila.
>
> Passing the files on to someone else without vdr!

Let me again repeat the question: Why do you want to convert to mp3 ? "In
principle" any MPEG1 L3 (aka mp3) decoder should also be able to decode
MPEG1 L2 (aka mp2) audio.

From the MPEG Audio FAQ:

"The three layers have been defined to be compatible in a hierarchical way,
i.e. a 'full Layer N' decoder is able to decode bitstreams encoded in Layer
N and all layers below N. Consequently, a 'full Layer III' decoder accepts
Layer I, II, and III bitstreams and a 'full Layer II' decoder accepts Layer
I and II bitstreams, however a Layer I decoder only accepts Layer I
bitstreams.
Nevertheless, MPEG-1 Audio decoders may exist which do not support the full
functionality for a certain layer, or do not support the lower layers. These
decoders may however not be referred to as (full) Layer N decoder."

Did you try whether your friend can play the mp2 in his app directly ? That
would reduce the work to just de-muxing.

Just my 2c

   Wiljo