[vdr] Re: bitstreamout 0.48pre7, no compile with gcc 2.95

Hi Werner,

Dr. Werner Fink wrote on Tue, Nov 11 2003:

>>Since I wanted mp2/AC3
>>without the need of switching analog/digital all the time,

>;^)  ... if you switch in software between `mp2->PCM' and `AC3'
>or between the PCM loop through mode of your sound card and
>`AC3' is simply the same.

Please let me clarify: I own a Hermes MSI 651 (same as Klaus), which
does have an onBoard soundchip with optical digital OUT (it does NOT
have a digital input). So the hardware-solution (connecting the
Nexus-s with digi-in) is not an option. The "card" works fine with
latest alsa 0.9.8 incl. digital out (already connected to my
amplifier).

I am looking forward to some piece of clever software, which routes
all sound from VDR to the soundcard, which outputs it via S/PDIF.

>The bitstreamout plugin switches the sound card automatically into
>`AC3' mode if AC3 data arrive.

You are talking about 0.46g? (Btw: I could not find a 0.46h you
mentioned in another mail).

>And switches back the sound card into loop through mode (...)

And there is my problem again: no digital in :-(

[bitstreamout 0.48pre7 does not compile with gcc 2.95]

The 0.48pre2 does compile with gcc 2.95

>Sorry, I do not use Debian.

Your email-address already indicates that ;-)

>Maybe there is a gcc 3.3.2 available in the unstable tree of Debian.

Yes, but it would require a newer version of glibc, meaning I'd have
to upgrade each and every package to the unstable tree. Since all
my other software compiles fine with gcc 2.95, I'm unsure about the
consequences of upgrading gcc and running "mixed" binaries.

>Also this part of bitstreamout and VDR is in progress and the work
>flow AFAIK isn't finished ;^)

I see. So I'll wait for a newer version which might even compile with
an older gcc. Thank you for your patience and kind regards

Frederick