[vdr] Re: bitstreamout-0.48pre8

On Wednesday 12 November 2003 20:07, Frederick Page wrote:
> Hi Sven,
>
> Sven Goethel wrote on Wed, Nov 12 2003:
> >>bitstreamout would not start up, unless I had this in /etc/fstab:
> >>tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0
>
> Kernel is an original, unpatched 2.4.18 from de.kernel.org
>
> >INSTALL says, better use the kernel shm support,
>
> There is no such thing as "shm support". What config-item do you mean?
> I've set CONFIG_TMPFS=y, grep does not reveal anything for "shm",
> neither in Documentation/Configure.help, nor in .config
>
> >instead of the older and slower tmpfs !!
>
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt states, the shmfs
> is the PREDECESSOR of tmpfs.
>
> >therefore no more entries in fstab are needed !
>
> The same doku begs to differ, I quote literally:
>
>    glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
>    POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink). Adding the following
>    line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:
>    tmpfs   /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0 0
>
> Since I found shm_open and shm_unlink in your source, this would
> explain why bitstreamout does not start, unless I mount tmpfs.

ok .. well, sorry you are correct, TMPFS is the current shm solution !

kernel 2.4.22:

[*] Virtual memory file system support (former shm fs)

CONFIG_TMPFS:                                                           │
  │                                                                         │
  │ Tmpfs is a file system which keeps all files in virtual memory.         │
  │ Everything in tmpfs is temporary in the sense that no files will be     │
  │ created on your hard drive. If you reboot, everything in tmpfs will     │
  │ be lost.                                                                │

 You should mount the file system somewhere to be able to use            │
  │ POSIX shared memory. Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should     │
  │ take care of things:                                                    │
  │                                                                         │
  │ tmpfs          /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults        0 0      │

 Remember to create the directory that you intend to mount tmpfs on      │
  │ if necessary (/dev/shm is automagically created if you use devfs).      │

the funny thing is, i do not have devfs in use,
and have not mount entry for /dev/shm,
but it is mounted anyway ;-)

this is the point of my confusion ..

> >>When there is only mp2 audio, I still hear clear sound on
> >>S/PDIF out, however my consoles are flooded with (always repeating):
> >>
> >> ALSA ../alsa-kernel/core/pcm_lib.c:216: Unexpected hw_pointer value
> >> (stream = 0, delta: -767, max jitter = 7680):
> >> wrong interrupt acknowledge?
> >
> >thats very new to me
>
> Hmm, I just noticed, that all my devices are on one single IRQ 11,
> although "APIC=off" (in BIOS) and I boot with append-line "acpi=off
> noapic". Everything works just fine, vdr is stable. Might be some
> interrupt-problem?
>
> >>I can only select the German AC3?
> >
> >well, i have some problems select the audio stream
> >using the green button lately .. but it works well
> >using the main menu bitstreamout audio selection.
>
> I seem to be unable to find that menu-entry, only see bitstreamout at
> the plugin-settings.

ah .. just use this "-o" option for -Pbitstreamout:
	-P 'bitstreamout -o'

> >and i just tried to obfuscate things ;-)
>
> Please have a look at the tmpfs docs and clarify the INSTALL file.

yep .. next release ..

> Kind regards   Frederick

prost, sven

- --
health & wealth
mailto:sgoethel@jausoft.com
www   : http://www.jausoft.com ; pgp: http://www.jausoft.com/gpg/
voice : +49-5121-999600 ; fax : +49-5121-999602