[vdr] Re: bitstreamout-0.48pre8

Hi Sven,

Sven Goethel wrote on Wed, Nov 12 2003:

>>bitstreamout would not start up, unless I had this in /etc/fstab:
>>tmpfs /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

Kernel is an original, unpatched 2.4.18 from de.kernel.org

>INSTALL says, better use the kernel shm support,

There is no such thing as "shm support". What config-item do you mean?
I've set CONFIG_TMPFS=y, grep does not reveal anything for "shm",
neither in Documentation/Configure.help, nor in .config

>instead of the older and slower tmpfs !!

/usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/tmpfs.txt states, the shmfs
is the PREDECESSOR of tmpfs.

>therefore no more entries in fstab are needed !

The same doku begs to differ, I quote literally:

   glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
   POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink). Adding the following
   line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:
   tmpfs   /dev/shm        tmpfs   defaults        0 0

Since I found shm_open and shm_unlink in your source, this would
explain why bitstreamout does not start, unless I mount tmpfs.

>>When there is only mp2 audio, I still hear clear sound on
>>S/PDIF out, however my consoles are flooded with (always repeating):

>> ALSA ../alsa-kernel/core/pcm_lib.c:216: Unexpected hw_pointer value
>> (stream = 0, delta: -767, max jitter = 7680):
>> wrong interrupt acknowledge?

>thats very new to me

Hmm, I just noticed, that all my devices are on one single IRQ 11,
although "APIC=off" (in BIOS) and I boot with append-line "acpi=off
noapic". Everything works just fine, vdr is stable. Might be some
interrupt-problem?

>>I can only select the German AC3?

>well, i have some problems select the audio stream
>using the green button lately .. but it works well
>using the main menu bitstreamout audio selection.

I seem to be unable to find that menu-entry, only see bitstreamout at
the plugin-settings.

>and i just tried to obfuscate things ;-)

Please have a look at the tmpfs docs and clarify the INSTALL file.

Kind regards   Frederick