[vdr] Re: EPG limitations in radio recordings

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Jan Ekholm wrote:

> I checked out some of the descriptions that get cut off, and it seems that
> the longest decriptions are always around 220 chars, no more. The exact
> location varies a bit, but that could be due to whitespace or something
> similar. I could ask at work wether the guys there have seen something
> weird with the Finnish channels, as it would be interesting to see where
> it goes wrong (sender, DVB-drivers or VDR). After I set the "EPG Bugfix
> Level" to 0 (off) the descriptions got a lot longer (up to the ~220
> character limit).

These EPG cutoffs made me to debug the libdtv a couple of months ago and
everything seems to work as intended. The bad guys are (as always :) on
the other end: Digita and the broadcast conmpanies have an agreement only
to use the short event descriptor and unfortunately no intention to adapt
the extended event descriptor in a near future (it would require some
changes - software I guess - and the extended fields aren't supported in all
commercial DVB-T receivers.
If you look at the ETSI EN 200 468 standard (ch. 6.2.35), you'll notice
that the event title and the short event description are in the same
descriptor. So the title and short descriptor can be max. 249 charatecters
together and that's the same length I'm seeing on my VDR: the bigger the
title the shorter the description.
HOwever the boardcasting companies (at least YLE) are aware of these EPG
cutoffs and are fixing the problem before the next year - by making the
descriptions smaller to fit in the standard :)

--
rofa