[vdr] Re: Building vdr again the new 2.6 kernel tree

Tilman Baumann wrote:

Now, after i'm definitly happy with the 2.6 kernel including its dvb support, i choosed to switch my complete system to 2.6.

If i set 'DVBDIR = /usr/src/linux' for compiling, i get many errors and the whole process ends with
/usr/src/linux/include/linux/device.h:365: error: 'u32' is used as a type, but
is not defined as a type.
make: *** [dvbdevice.o] Error 1

I have no idea whats wrong. And of course, don't know if my plan is possible...

Anybody here who did this or can say whats about?
You are (or, your compiler is) mixing 2.4 and 2.6 includes, and some of the 2.6 includes you're using are internal kernel headers not supposed to be used to compile user space apps against. (In Linux <= 2.4, user space kernel headers and internal kernel headers were mostly identical. This changed in 2.6.)

Quick 'n Dirty Fix:
Change the Makefile to "-idirafter" the 2.6 include dirs instead of "-I"ing them. This usually works, but is a Bad Thing(tm).

Clean solution:
Install the user space versions of the 2.6 headers. Many distribution already package them. In Debian, you can install the package "linux-kernel-headers". Afterwards, VDR should compile cleanly without looking at the 2.6 internal headers.