[vdr] feature request: Instant Replay

Hi list,

vdr's timeshifting feature(s) are quite impressive by now: You can
simple watch a programed recording (if you came home earlier as expected
:-) ) or "pause" the current live picture (to answer a telephone call).

What you cannot is making a replay of the last few seconds (in case you
missed ore did not understand something or you simple want to see "the
goal" again).

But this could be achieved using a small ring-buffer of the last  --
let's say -- 30 seconds in memory (of course this should be adjustable
for hosts with smaller or bigger memsize). Whenever you want to replay
something, you only have to press the "InstantReplay"-button and you
will see the last 30 seconds again. The picture will be played
timeshifted then, as long as you do not fast forward until the live
position.

Maybe it is also possible to start a "direct recording" when starting
InstantReplay which of course should store the memory ring-buffer at first!

I know, there could be one problem: To enable InstantReplay, vdr must
continuously read the mpeg stream. As this implies "transfer mode"
(correct me if I'm wrong) the DVB-card would produce more heat. So the
opportunity (= option) to switch this feature off and stay in playback
mode if InstantReplay is not possible/wanted could possibly solve this
problem.
--
Patrick Cernko | mailto:errror@errror.de | http://www.errror.de
Quote of the Week: "/vmlinuz does not exist.