[vdr] Re: Several recordings lost due to inconsistent timers.conf - featurerequest

Ralf Klueber wrote:

> Hello guys,
> Hello Klaus,
>
> at the weekend I lost severall recordings due to an inconsistent entry
> within the timers.conf. Dont ask me how this could happen. The timer was
> inserted via master-timer. But thats not the problem to talk about. The
> effect was that vdr restarted itself because of an inconsistent entry
> within the timers.conf.

I assume the original error was an improper entry in your channels.conf
file. The channels are now checked upon startup to make sure something
like this won't happen later. Do you have any plugins or patches installed
that might introduce improper channel definitions?

> I did not see any benefit of this feature! Why vdr not simply ignores
> such inconsistent entries? The effect would be that all the other
> recordings would have been recorded instead.
>
> Klaus: You prefer always secure and stable behaviour of VDR. Thats what
> it is good for and thats what I need. So thanks for that. But why
> prevent vdr from starting with such an entry leading to no recordings at
> all instead of ignoring this single line and leading to only one lost
> recording?
>
> If your answer is that this could be managed within the runvdr script, I
> think this could be done. But, I would like to add a new feature
> request. I would like to see a oportunity to use the MESG functionality
> within svdr to interact with the user. I would like to have the chance
> to ask the user a (yes/no) question and get the answer through svdr
> (Like it is done when an active timer is deleted f.e.).
>
> What about the restarts?
> What do you think about that new feature?

Why did you mix two completely unrelated topics in one message?

Klaus