[vdr] Re: solved: segment faults from osdtelext plugin

Henning Glawe wrote:
On Sat, Dec 04, 2004 at 06:55:00PM +0100, Luca Olivetti wrote:

"--with-tls", so they both are thread safe. The difference between the versions is that the one under tls is compiled for nptl.
I suppose all modern distributions supply thread safe libraries, so the _r version should not actually be needed.

TLS depends on the CPU: if the cpu doesn't support conditional moves (cmov,
an optionial 686 family of opcodes), tls doesn't work.
Are you sure? Isn't that a matter of optimization (i686 libraries use cmov, i586 don't) unrelated to thread local storage?
As the passive-coolable VIA Ezra family CPUs (which are used quite often in
home-brewed STBs, one stands under my tv set ;) ) don't supports cmov, being
able to run VDR without tls is quite important ;)
Mandrake's glibc spec has a patch to detect these cpus and treat them as i586 instead of i686, anyway all of them are compiled with tls:

---[excerpt from the spec file]------------------
# Define TLS architectures
%define tlsarches %{ix86} x86_64 amd64
[...]
# Build with TLS
%ifarch %{tlsarches}
TlsFlags="--with-tls"
%else
TlsFlags="--without-tls"
%endif

$ rpm --eval %ix86
i386 i486 i586 i686 athlon

Bye

--
- Yo también quiero una Europa libre de Patentes de Software -
- I want a Software Patents Free Europe too! And you? -