[vdr] Suggestion: New timeshift mode (was: High speed cutting)

Udo Richter wrote:

Hi list,

I've been thinking about video cutting strategies, and I think its possible to speed up the cutting process noticeable, with some modifications to VDR. Here's what I think of:

1. Reduce file fragment size noticeable (I'd suggest 20mb instead 2000mb)
If I read this first point, I have another idea - concerning the feature request of a lot of users who want a timeshift mode without recording the whole broadcast. Unfortunately, I am not a developer, so I am not able to write a plugin on my own.

What about recording in small file fragments in timeshift mode and, when playing back "timeshifted", deleting the packages that are older than e.g 5 minutes before the current playback position? So you will get a real timeshift mode (without the ringbuffer thing and wasting to much HD space), and you are still able to repeat the last scenes (this would not be possible if you deleted everything you recently watched in timeshift mode).

With kind regards

Joerg Knitter

Home | Main Index | Thread Index