[vdr] Re: How to name the audio tracks?

Carsten Koch wrote:

If there are more than one subtitle stream for different languages,
should the selection follow the EPG/audio preference? Should we
then have three separate settings or just one common setting?
What about subtitles (which may also soon be part of the core VDR)?

I guess the situation is complicated here.
Obviously, if you are not hearing-impaired, it makes no sense
to watch a movie with the same audio and subtitle language.

There are still other programs, for example documentaries and sport, where there are English language interviews on Finnish audio channel subtitled to Finnish. It makes much sense to then have both Finnish audio+subtitles.

I believe the hearing-impaired subtitles can be distinguished from the "normal" subtitles by vdr, and then use the hearing impaired only if configured so (this is how it's done in the ttxtsubs-plugin).

AFAIK at least here are no channels/programs which are sent with both original and native audio, plus native "normal" (non-hearing-impaired) subtitles.
If in some country are some programs transmitted with 'original audio' + 'native audio' + 'native normal subtitles', I would strongly recommend an configuration option for this (i.e. whether to use both native audio + "normal" subtitles). I don't believe that somewhere these both (conflicting) methods are used.

I hope I made some sense.

--
Anssi Hannula

Home | Main Index | Thread Index