[vdr] Re: Error handling vs. user friendliness.

On Mon, Jan 03, 2005 at 01:54:08PM +0100, Sascha Volkenandt wrote:
> Am Montag, 3. Januar 2005 12:26 schrieb Jürgen Schmitz:
> > Josef Wolf wrote:
> > > - VDR does an "emergency exit" when it fails to tune to a channel.  This
> > >   renders VDR to be completely unusable as long as at least one bad
> > >   channel entry exists.  A bad LNB, a broken cable or a bird in front of
> > >   one of the LNBs would make VDR unusable, too.  Why not just ignore (or
> > >   give a warning) on bad entreis?
> > >
> > > - VDR restarts continously when there is no signal in one of the
> > > available frontends.  Therefore you can't put the box to a different
> > > location just to watch some recordings.  You will need to take the dish
> > > along, although you don't want to watch live TV.
> >
> > Yea, this two are really bad. With the old VHS I could still watch a
> > recording if the satellite signal was gone because of bad weather. Ok,
> > there may be reasons for this to reset the dvb drivers, however, if the
> > reset didn't change anything there is no need for another reset.
>
> IMHO that only applies if the frontend is currently used (i.e. recording).

No.  At least 1.2.6 keeps restarting no matter whether there is a
recording active or not.  Even a tuning attempt for EPG scan will cause
a restart.

> In that case I would EXPECT VDR to at least "do" something to rescue my
> recording.

I doubt that restarting every couple of seconds is the right thing to do.
This will give you a really bad recording (or more probably: no recording
at all).
Even worse: if you have multiple recordings programmed, _all_ of them
(even the ones with perfect signal) will be corrupted by those restarts.
Instead of rescuing the recording, the restarts make the situation worse.

> With no recording going on I can watch a replay without interruption, even
> when the reception is badly broken due to a thunderstorm etc...

You have deactivated EPG scan, then?

--
No software patents!
-- Josef Wolf -- jw@raven.inka.de --