[vdr] Re: Error handling vs. user friendliness.

Josef Wolf wrote:
On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 12:00:30AM +0100, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

I doubt that, because VDR won't let you delete a channel which has
a timer programmed on it - or did you find a way to actually do this?
I think he deleted the channels the easy way - by editing channels.conf, not via vdr :-)
Oh, so he edited channels.conf while VDR was running?!

VDR was shut down while I was editing, of course.

That's naughty...

Come on.  You don't expect me to remove about 2500 entries with the remote
control, do you?  Especially when VDR is restarting in irregular intervals.
No. I was under the impression that you had edited the channel list
while VDR was running.

At the time channels.conf is read there is no OSD yet.

So it's either the current behaviour or dropping offending
entries and starting anyway.

How about dropping offending entries, giving a OSD/logfile (dalayed
until OSD is available) warning and _not_ write back the file on
shutdown?  This way no entires are lost, the warning reapears until
the problem is fixed and (finally) VDR will still be usable with a
broken channels.conf.
The channel list is not explicitly written back at shutdown.
It is written whenever the user makes an explicit change to it,
or every ten minutes if automatic updates have been made.

Ok, so in case of an error at startup we could turn off the automatic
saving of channels.conf and only save it when the user explicitly
makes a change.

However, what if the channels.conf file is so broken that no channels
can be read at all? Should VDR still start? What if only one or two channels
are ok? Where's the limit?

Klaus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index