[vdr] Re: Error handling vs. user friendliness.

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 12:00:30AM +0100, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> >>I doubt that, because VDR won't let you delete a channel which has
> >>a timer programmed on it - or did you find a way to actually do this?
> >I think he deleted the channels the easy way - by editing channels.conf,
> >not via vdr :-)
> Oh, so he edited channels.conf while VDR was running?!

VDR was shut down while I was editing, of course.

> That's naughty...

Come on.  You don't expect me to remove about 2500 entries with the remote
control, do you?  Especially when VDR is restarting in irregular intervals.

> At the time channels.conf is read there is no OSD yet.
>
> So it's either the current behaviour or dropping offending
> entries and starting anyway.

How about dropping offending entries, giving a OSD/logfile (dalayed
until OSD is available) warning and _not_ write back the file on
shutdown?  This way no entires are lost, the warning reapears until
the problem is fixed and (finally) VDR will still be usable with a
broken channels.conf.

--
No software patents!
-- Josef Wolf -- jw@raven.inka.de --