[vdr] Re: Error handling vs. user friendliness.

Klaus.Schmidinger@cadsoft.de(Klaus Schmidinger)  04.01.05 00:00

Once upon a time "Klaus Schmidinger " shaped the electrons to say...

>Helmut Auer wrote:
>> Hell Klaus

>>> I doubt that, because VDR won't let you delete a channel which has
>>> a timer programmed on it - or did you find a way to actually do
>>> this?
>>>
>> I think he deleted the channels the easy way - by editing
>> channels.conf, not via vdr :-)

>Oh, so he edited channels.conf while VDR was running?!
>That's naughty...

<Outing>:
I did too (intentionally).
But i wonder why my changes where not undone by VDR!
I thought VDR would rewrite channels.conf when shutting down?

>At the time channels.conf is read there is no OSD yet.

Hm, would it be solution to place some kind of "status line"
at the bottom of the main menu?
So that statusinfo can be written in a memory array and in the
moment the user selects the main menu he will see that info?

>So it's either the current behaviour or dropping offending
>entries and starting anyway.

I think you are right that dropping entries should
not be done silently. The user MUST be informed that something is wrong,
just logging into syslog is not sufficient.
Too displaying it once (because the corrected file will be written)
without being sure a user will see it does not help either.

Rainer---<=====>                         Vertraulich
             //
           //

Home | Main Index | Thread Index