[vdr] Re: softdevice and DirectFB with Matrox G450

In <200501120716.11365.stefan@lucke.in-berlin.de>, Stefan Lucke wrote:

> On Mittwoch, 12. Januar 2005 02:13, Tony Houghton wrote:
> > Stefan Lucke wrote:

> > > I have no 16:9 display yet but that will change soon, so that I can check
> > > that myself.
> >
> > In the meantime is there anything I can do as a quick hack to make it
> > simply fill the screen with whatever is broadcast?
>
> So you want to say that every thing is shown in a 4:3 pillar box on your TV ?

Here in the UK most of the digital broadcasts, especially on the 5 main
channels, are in 16:9 anamorphic (720x576 I believe), so I think if
they're just scaled to full-screen (you can just pretend you're showing
a 4:3 programme on a 4:3 screen and not worry about pixel shape) that
should work. Most of the shows that are 4:3 are also broadcast in a 4:3
720x576 frame, and it's fine to show them full-screen too, because every
16:9 TV I've seen has some sensible options to compensate for that. This
is what the DXR3 plugin does (when patched so it will handle a 16:9 TV).

There are a few shows that are broadcast in 16:9 frames without taking
up the full frame, but I don't know whether they're broadcast as, say,
540x576 or 720x576 with the borders already added. I won't mind if these
sometimes get shown the wrong shape by VDR, because it's only stuff like
news.

Are 16:9 TVs and shows still quite rare in Germany? It seems quite
strange to me that they're so poorly supported by various VDR plugins
and xine.

> > > Field parity "top" was just not set :-( . Please try attached diff.
> >
> > I can see that should work if the pixel format is anything but YUV2, but
> > YUV2 is the only format that will work.
>
> Thats unclear to me. You "see" that would work for anything but YUY2 ?
> Can you please explain this ?

I see you've worked out what I meant, I'll look forward to your fix.
Meanwhile I'll see if I can sort out my DirectFB-as-root problem, I had
some hunches overnight.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

Home | Main Index | Thread Index