[vdr] Re: Default video dir

vdr@helmutauer.de(Helmut Auer)  15.01.05 10:12

>>Currently default dir is "/video"
>>
>>If one needs more space
>>he has to move his old /video to /video0
>>to be able to mount further discs on /video1 ../video9
>>and have to change "runvdr" to tell VDR to use /video0
>>as start dir.
>>

>>Wouldn't it be easier in everyway (software, documentation, user
>>interface) if the default dir is always "/video0"
>>or (more complicate but compatible) if "/video1" exists,
>>"/video" is interpreted as "/video0"
>>?
>>

>>If compatibility with old setups is requierd, vdr needs to check
>>for "/video" and use it if no "/video0" exists.
>>The change is so minor (user has to make a link from /video
>>to /video0 if one does not like to change fstab).
>>vdr should complain about that old dir and suggest to rename it.
>>

>Oh - that could lead into an interesting discussion about the video
>directory handling of VDR :-)

There was no warning! ;-))

>I know that Klaus does not like the splitting of the video directory
>over several directories very much and I agree with him totally.
>The handling of different directories ( as its implemented now ) can
>cause the lost of nearly all records if the first directory crashes.

Hm...
why should a directory "crash"?

Or is that the cause why i loose the first 8 Hours of the recording?
(See my other mailing)

>Also the handling of different directories is not too trivial and in
>my eyes its absolutely unnecessary.

If there is a easier way to "add" extra space -temporary- it's OK.

I found they current way not very convient too, that's why i ask.

>If anyone needs more space, he built up a software raid system with
>one directory for vdr.

I wanted to record it to a separate USB disc...
How can i do that with a Softwareraid?
In this case i had to insert the disc into the case because
the USB driver of 2.4.27 sems to be buggy and died after some
MB of constant writings...
I found that lukely before mounting...
What would have happend if i had mounted the (broken) removable disc
into a Software raid? (If that would have been possible at all).
I assume all recordings are lost, not those in the extra disc.

Rainer---<=====>                         Vertraulich
             //
           //

Home | Main Index | Thread Index