[linux-dvb] Re: Call for help on CI problems

Ralph Metzler wrote:

> Since the CI protocol itself does not contribute anything to the
> actual security of the system this is purely about security through
> obscurity (which IMHO is worthless) but, again, IANAL. The publication
> of information and code related to such sensitive areas has to be
> considered carefully or it could hurt us very much.

Do you have to release code that could be abused? If I understand correctly,
all the sensitive parts are in the firmware anyway, that's way nobody has
been able to improve the CI support?!

I know that the legal aspects have to be carefully considered; especially
because Convergence wants to do business with hardware manufacturers and
content providers ;-) - but your driver is just one of several ways to watch
encrypted programs using a DVB PC card. The other software manufacturers
don't seem to have legal problems with their CA-enabled software. If I just
want to watch encrypted programs illegaly, there are certainly easier ways
than using a Linux PC anyway.

Regards,
hh