[linux-dvb] Re: Software decoder

Matt Tovey <Matt.Tovey@munich.sgi.com> writes:

[...]

> For the non-german speakers out there, this is a software emulator of
> the CAM module (no HW CAM required), and my friend has used it to decode
> Irdeto and Seca programs.
>
> I'm curious - is there any interest to get such software working under
> Linux, or is this something which is deliberately avoided?

Dear Matt,

you are probably aware of the recent decisions of the German
parliament concerning pay-tv circumvention devices
(http://www.heise.de/newsticker/data/jk-04.02.02-004/ - sorry, German
only). According to this law, it is illegal to manufacture or trade
software like the one you are talking about.

LinuxTV.org aims at making Linux a platform for receiving, recording
and streaming digital television but we are not interested in cracking
Pay-TV.

With all respect I may ask you to discuss these issues elsewhere or to
unsubscribe the list. We won't put at stake what we have achieved
because of stupid idiots doing illegal things.

If you have any further questions about the policy of this list, feel
free to send me a mail

sincerely
--
Martin Springer, Chief Evangelist
convergence integrated media gmbh      GPG Key-ID  1024D/8EFE7B2F