[linux-dvb] Re: Software decoder

Hallo Martin,

I'm sorry if I created the wrong impression - I really am (was?) only
curious to know if such SW has also been written for Linux and if this
forum is an approriate place for this discussion.

I also think it's interesting to the members of this list to know that
such things exist, and that SW decoding is possible. It's really only
the geek value of the software that is interesting to me - that the
encoded data stream can be extracted, decoded in software, and returned
to the card.

Martin Springer wrote:

> With all respect I may ask you to discuss these issues elsewhere or to
> unsubscribe the list. We won't put at stake what we have achieved
> because of stupid idiots doing illegal things.

I also would not want to jeopardise the legitimacy of this project
(which probably already has enough problems in this sense!). Let me make
it clear that I have neither read this website in detail, nor downloaded
the software discussed there.

However, the use of this software is, to my understanding, not
necessarily illegal. OTOH, I'm also having trouble thinking of a legal
use for the software! Why would you want a software decoder if you own a
legitimate HW decoding device (i.e. subscription card)?

> If you have any further questions about the policy of this list, feel
> free to send me a mail

Yes - please send me a copy of the list policy. If I received this when
I subscribed, then I don't seem to have it any more.

Cheers,

Matt
--
Matt Tovey, SGI Software Support, Munich.	+49-89-46108-229

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.