[linux-dvb] Re: Software decoder

> However, the use of this software is, to my understanding, not
> necessarily illegal. OTOH, I'm also having trouble thinking of a legal
> use for the software! Why would you want a software decoder if
> you own a legitimate HW decoding device (i.e. subscription card)?

I certainly do have such reasons !

I am currently paying for a french digital satellite TV, and the hardware
they lend (and it is finally expensive) is such a piece of crap that I
would
largely prefer to use my WinTV DVBs to watch at those encrypted
channels, and if its doable via cheap software means, why pay for a
hardware CI module which is overly expensive by itself... and which
currently does not seem to work great with all possible legal cards...

The hardware is so f*cked that I wonder if it's made from M$ based
software ;-) It looks very strange to see it hang, its slowness to switch
between channels, etc... I'm really pissed off with this piece of
hardware...

Additionally, I'll trade my tape-based VDR for a fully software-based
one which'll have mpeg2 quality, not limited to 5 hours tapes (yes 10 is
possible at the price of massive quality reduction), HD space is getting
cheaper these days, same for CDR space...

That are only my own thoughts about the potential use of such software...
Indeed there are illegal (ab)uses, but potentially legal ones too which
should not be taken out the equation...

--
Vince